Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How will my results be for African American hair getting a blowout at a Dominican salon?

I'm African American, with 4a/b type hair. I've heard good and bad things about the Dominican salons, but I want to give it a try cuz my homie's mom is Rican and told me they'd hook me up. Her hair texture is a bit less kinky than mine, but she relaxes her hair like I do, so it's not that different. I'm concerned about the heat though as my hair is prone to breakage from overprocessing, heat styling, and I sometimes sweat in my scalp with causes frizzies and dryness. I've decided to wait to go until my hair is back at it's healthy, uniform length (almost chin length).





Do you think I'll have any problems? Should I have them just blow dry the roots cuz of my breakage issues? Should I bring my own products?





I still plan to go to my regular stylist for relaxers, but I just want to stretch the time in between them because it only takes about 4 weeks for my new growth to be visible. From what I've read, I must insist that they moisturize and condition my hair prior to my roller set. I also read that some kind of heat protectant should be used prior to the blowout process. Any other ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.How will my results be for African American hair getting a blowout at a Dominican salon?
I have heard they can get hair super straight but I have heard many people experienced hair damage becuase of the high levels of heat many Dominicans use. if your hair is prone to breakage I would not go, but it's up to you. Every salon will be different, I have also hear many of them have a prejudice against Blacks, like they will talk about you in Spanish. I'm just telling you what I have heard. You can straighten your hair yourself. I am natural now but when I used to straighten my hair this routine was good:





(before any heat put a heat protection product in to put a layer between you and the heat and don't do this every day or every week)





YOU WILL NEED: Plastic cap/plastic bag, blow dryer, medium sized rollers, portable hair dryer, professional straightener, deep treatment conditioner, moisturizing shampoo, leave in conditioner, protein treatment, heat protectant product, wrap lotion. Whew~!








1. Shampoo hair with moisturizing shampoo.





2. Apply a protein treatment like Aphogee 2 Step. You should be doing a protein treatment regularly if you have relaxed hair. Relaxed hair=damaged hair. Especially if you straighten regualrly. Definitely do one before you go to any Dominican salon. Protein products do not ';heal'; hair but they coat hair and fill in crack temp, which stops breakage. Wash out after 15 minutes or so.





3. After the protein treatment of choice, put deep conditioner in hair and put plastic cap/plastic bag over hair. Sit under a dryer for no less than 15 minutes. I do it for 45 minutes.





4. Rinse out product and use a good leave in conditioner and spray hair liberally with a heat protectant. I like Tresemme.





5. Next, roll hair on medium sized rollers with a wrap lotion.





6. Then sit under dryer/heater until hair is about 70% dry.





7. Remove rollers and blow dry the hair with a round brush section by section. Apply more heat protectant.





8. Finally go over hair with a straightener lightly for shine. And you're done.





Also you don't have to straighten to have a ';hair spa day';. Take a day once a month to deep condition and do a protein treatment on your hair. Also you know you can stretch hair relaxers for months right? I personally love embracing my hair texture (4AB) but even if you keep relaxing def. educate yourself about your hair. You sound like you know some already and that's a good thing. Too many of us are letting hair stylists damage our hair becuase we don't know anything about it. I highly recommend http://longhaircareforum.com for you. Best of luck.How will my results be for African American hair getting a blowout at a Dominican salon?
Well Juanita,





I understand your apprehension, and for good concern. It's ok to get your hair wash, set and blown out once and a while but consider logic...heat AND tensions should never be a regualr. If you want to stretch ur salon visits out ( I understand what you mean b/c often time Domincian owned salons charge less) do a wash, set and blow every other week. The other weeks, only get roller sets and wraps.





Bring your own products. You are going to need something good for heat styling. Perhaps Mizani, Keracare, Design Essentials, Nexxus, etc.





Hope this helps

No comments:

Post a Comment